IoT for Healthcare
There is a great deal of opportunity for digital transformation in healthcare, and IoT promises many innovative solutions.
Any process that includes gauges, meters, people with clipboards, employees physically monitoring activities or patients, or sign-in sheets there is an opportunity to implement an IoT solution. Advances in wireless asset tracking and monitoring are bringing new capabilities to almost every facet of healthcare. As a result the delivery of care is being revolutionized. From patient monitoring and care management to staff optimization and key equipment tracking.
Examples of IoT in Healthcare
Existing low-power wireless use cases include:
- Patient sensors for real-time tracking monitoring alerts.
- Badge sensors and control devices to limit access to areas, cabinets, and medicines.
- Tags, beacons and sensors for asset tracking and inventory monitoring and management.
- Maintenance sensors for supply and clean-up notifications.
- Comfort sensors that integrate with building controls systems for energy utilization and cost savings.
- Station or desk occupancy sensors for workspace utilization, scheduling, smart lighting, and more.
These use cases all depend on wireless connectivity and computing at the edge – where devices, tags and sensors must reliably and securely gather data and communicate with the cloud. The best wireless infrastructures are open and multi-use, so solutions don’t end up stove-piped, hard to maintain and tough to integrate.
Benefits of IoT automated data collection
- Improved patient experiences.
- Improved health outcomes.
- Reduced costs.
- Improved efficiency.
- Increased employee satisfaction.
- Improved workplace environment.
These IoT solutions are being implemented today by innovative medical teams and systems integrators. Healthcare facilities are already realizing the benefits that digital transformation promises. Some concrete solution examples include:
- Cold-Chain monitoring – guaranteeing the effectiveness and safety of medicines and vaccines from the manufacturing facility all the way to the patient.
- Remote, non-invasive vitals (i.e. temperature) monitoring – continuous, real-time, and with no need to wake the patient for overnight readings.
- Tracking of critical and high-value assets – wheelchairs, crash carts, oxygen tanks, beds, etc.
- Employee location analytics – for scheduling, alerting and detail optimization.
- Maintenance and utilization sensing – liquid and spill alerts, inventory management and supply replenishment alerts in patient rooms and public restrooms.
Now is the perfect time to build and implement a Connected Healthcare solution. What has been a complicated landscape of complex technology and endless POCs is starting to shake out. Improved performance, coverage distance, and battery life has made Bluetooth the protocol of choice for Smart Asset Tracking. Further, unlike some other technologies, Bluetooth can send monitoring data (temperature, pressure, humidity, etc.) in addition to location data. It also works seamlessly with mobile devices – integrating easily with additional solutions. Finally, Bluetooth devices continue to drop in price as the technology becomes significantly more precise.
Whether in a hospital, a healthcare facility, or an out-patient monitoring environment, creating a secure edge infrastructure for the collection of patient and asset information can be complicated. Compliance with data regulations complicates the technology issues. Rigado has unique experience with the design and development of BLE-based healthcare solutions that leverage edge gateways for secure and reliable delivery of data to our customers’ cloud applications directly. This allows our customers to build solutions that are easier to implement and maintain, especially at scale, while reducing data compliance issues.
Rigado for Connected Healthcare
For the reasons above Connected Healthcare solution providers choose to build on Rigado, leveraging our Cascade Edge-as-a-Service infrastructure as the foundation of their edge connectivity and computing.
In addition to the general benefits of using Rigado Cascade for your connected healthcare solution our customers enjoy these specific benefits in Connected Healthcare applications:
- Direct connection from your sensors to your cloud – minimizing data storage locations and compliance issues.
- Certified solutions from our partners that are 21CFR compliant and meet CDC, FDA, VFC and Local State Requirements.
- More than just location data, with sensing, monitoring and edge computing for local automated control.
- Containerized edge application environment and variety of Bluetooth sensor options allowing a single IoT infrastructure to run many Connected Healthcare applications: patient vitals sensing and monitoring, asset tracking (wheelchairs, crash carts, etc.), access control, building systems integration, cold chain monitoring, smart lighting, and more.
Looking for a wireless edge infrastructure that is stable, scalable and secure? Connect with our Solutions Team Today. We’re always ready to discuss how we can make commercial IoT work for you without the complexity, cost and risk.
Learn more by watching our on-demand webinar “Healthcare Asset Monitoring at Scale Using BLE”.
Learn more about Rigado solutions for Healthcare ⟶
Learn more about Enterprise Bluetooth ⟶